Thursday, December 20, 2007

Have a Joy Full Christmas



Rejoice, rejoice, Emmanuel has come to thee . . .
During the holidays we read and hear words like "joyful" and "rejoice" on cards and in carols. These words have been replaying in my mind over the last few days, but in different forms. Instead of “joyful,” I’ve been meditating on "joy full" – as in being full of joy. When I hear or read “rejoice,” I think "re - joy" – as in having joy again.

Tidings of comfort and joy . . .
Before receiving the baby Jesus in her womb, Mary responded to Gabriel, "My spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior." [Luke 1:47]

Joyful, all ye nations rise . . .
When the wise men from the East saw the star directing them to Jesus, they “rejoiced with exceeding great joy.” [Matthew 2:10]

Joy to the world, the Lord is come . . .
Jesus said in John 15:11, "these things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." The joy of Jesus is the joy that remains for us today.

The weary world rejoices . . .
God is with us, our Emmanuel. “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.” [Psalms 28:7]

Joyful and triumphant . . .
Have you ever wondered, “What gives Jesus joy?” Scripture shares in Luke 10:21 that Jesus was joyful when His disciples returned from going out in the land ministering in the power and authority of His name.

As we shop, wrap, bake and commemorate the birth of Jesus this Christmas season, I write these things unto you that your joy may be full . . . full of the abiding joy of Jesus. And may we give joy in return to the Lord by ministering to those around us -- reaching out in His name with a helping hand, an encouraging word, an impacting prayer.

* * *
Good Christian men rejoice . . .
Holidays magnify emotions – positive and negative. If you or someone you know is struggling to find joy, I encourage you to spend some time thinking about the Lord. Before Mary rejoiced, she said, “My soul doth magnify the Lord.” Sure, easy for her to say, right? She just had an angelic visitor and the best news ever. But with Mary’s acceptance of the Christ child in her womb, she faced the hardship, rejection and ridicule of becoming an unwed mother in her day. It was a mixed blessing, we might say, yet she chose to be joyful.

When we magnify the Lord, looking to God’s Word, His character, His faithfulness, His provision, His power, His friendship, His sacrifice, His great love . . . I believe we will find the joy of the Lord. God is our strength and shield. Our hearts safely trust in Him and we are helped; therefore, we can greatly rejoice.

If you had joy once, you can “re-joy” again. If you just have a little joy tucked away in the corner of your soul, I pray that your joy may be full as you magnify the Lord with me. He is great! He is mighty! He’s an awesome God! He’s worthy of our praise and He is our exceeding great reward!

Have a joy-full Christmas!

3 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Merry Christmas, Lori, to you and yours. Love the picture!

lightspreader said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BeverlyCLO said...

Thank you Lori for the Message in a bottle! I want to live a life that is clean, pure and holy for him. It is my desire for his presence to shine through me for all the world to see His light. God Bless you!