Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Five Keys to Public Ministry

I have received several notes in my inbox from people asking advice about speaking or doing other types of ministry. So I thought I'd share my thoughts in a note for anyone who feels God calling them to step out in a new arena (mostly focused on public ministry, but applicable to all):

#1) Repent...cleanse your heart of any hindrance and ask God to purify your motives...to be in alignment with what He wants to do as you speak, write, sing or otherwise minister. (I do this continually...and especially before I step in front of a group of people who have come expecting spiritual encouragement or teaching from me...a humbling thought and huge responsibility.)

#2) Be prepared (good notes, practice) and prayed up. (Most messages don't come as a result of looking for a message, but as a result of personal prayer, Bible study and experience. Just walk with God each day and listen as He speaks, and you will be surprised at the wonderful things He will give you to share with others.)

#3) Have those in authority over you pray for you before you speak. (I never speak or accept a speaking engagement without having my husband pray with and for me, and I also keep my pastor and pastor's wife informed. They pray for me, too, as well as my ladies prayer group. I post my schedule online and ask friends to join with me in prayer as I speak out. It's important to have good prayer covering and be in agreement with your spiritual leadership if you want to minister with authority and anointing.)

#4) If you're nervous (and believe me, I have been), do it scared...and don't be intimidated to speak what God gives you (although that doesn't mean we don't use wisdom and temper our words in ways the people we are speaking to won't receive the message...the goal isn't to shock or rebuke, but to encourage and equip).

#5) If God calls you...and your spiritual leadership authorizes you...go for it! It doesn't matter your education, your pedigree, or any feelings of inadequacy. WALK IN AGREEMENT WITH GOD'S PLAN AND PURPOSE and see what He will do . . . even through you!

Blessings,
Lori

No comments: